South Indian style lemon rice is probably one of my favourite rice dishes. It is a delight both to make and to eat - the fragrant tempering, the hot and sharp tastes, and the beautiful yellow colour are so inviting! Its also so easy to make that it can be ready in a snap. It is also great to make if you have left over rice from a party or get together. Lemon rice is one of the dishes I love to make when we are planning a road trip or a picnic. It travels so well, tastes delicious hot or cold, and you never have to worry about the accompaniments.
Some time back I decided to try this recipe out on quinoa. Quinoa by itself takes on flavours very well, and is extremely versatile. I use it to make all kinds of pilafs and salads. So you can imagine how delighted I was to find that it takes on the seasonings for lemon rice beautifully. Delicious and healthy all on one plate - what more can you ask for!!
1 cup quinoa
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp haldi (turmeric)
1 lemon, juiced
11/2 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp urad dal
1 tbsp chana dal
6-8 curry leaves
1/2 tsp rai (mustard seeds)
1/2 tsp zeera (cumin seeds)
1/8 tsp hing (asafoetida)
2-3 red chilies, broken
- Prepare the quinoa as per the instructions on the label. When it is ready, gently turn it out onto a large serving plate and allow it to cool completely.
- Heat the oil in a wide bottomed saucepan. Reduce the heat to medium, then add the dals. Fry them for a minute, then add the curry leaves, the broken red chilies, and all the other tempering items.
- Once the tempering is fragrant and the seeds all toasted, turn off the heat.
- Add the turmeric powder and salt, and then after about 30 seconds add the quinoa.
- Toss gently until the tempering begins to cover the quinoa. Now pour in the lemon juice, and continue tossing until all the tempering is evenly spread.
- Delicious lemon quinoa is ready to enjoy.
Good to Know
- This is a good recipe to prepare ahead. I usually make the quinoa, spread it on a plate and allow it to cool completely. Then I cover the plate with cling film and refrigerate until needed.
- It is best to make the quinoa in the morning for an evening meal.
- Always add the lemon after turning off the heat. If not, the lemon will acquire a bitter taste.
Like this recipe. Tried it. Leave me a comment:)
All content, text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007 - 2013. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.