Here is a simple and healthy recipe for you and your family. A mix of yellow moong dal, green peas and a freshly prepared spice mix, this kootu is simply heartwarming. I love to make this recipe in the winter when its snowing outside and so cold you would not want to budge. The ultimate in comfort food, enjoy this kootu with hot rice and dollop of ghee on the top!!
1/2 cup moong dal (split and polished mung dal)
1/2 cup hari matar (fresh green peas)
Salt to taste
Pinch haldi (turmeric powder)
Grind to a Paste:
3 tbsp coconut
1 tsp urad dal (split black gram dal)
1/2 tsp saboot kali mirch (black peppercorns)
1/2 tsp zeera (cumin seeds)
4-5 saboot lal mirch (dried red chilies)
1/2 tsp rai (mustard seeds)
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/8 tsp hing (asafoetida)
5-6 kari patta (curry leaves)
1 tbsp oil
- Wash the green peas, set aside.
- Wash the moong dal in plenty of water.
- Place in a pressure cooker with a pinch of turmeric and 11/2 cups water and cook for 3 whistles.
- Turn of the heat and allow the pressure to drop on it own.
- In a frying pan, dry roast the urad dal, black peppercorns, cumin seeds, and red chilies.
- When the urad dal becomes pink and plump, add the coconut, give a stir, and then turn of the heat.
- Keep stirring the mix for a couple of minutes as the heat will continue to roast the coconut.
- Allow this roasted mix to cool completely. The grind to a fine paste using just enough water to bring all the ingredients together.
- In a large saucepan, add oil. Heat, then add the mustard seeds, when they begin to pop, add the cumin, hing, and the curry leaves.
- Add the peas, stir and fry for a minute, then add a cup of water and allow the whole to simmer.
- Add the cooked moong dal along with the spice paste and a cup of water.
- Stir well, bring to a boil, and cook on a medium heat for 10 minutes or until the dal begins to thicken.
- Enjoy hot with rice.
Like this recipe. Tried it. Leave me a comment:)
All content, text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007 - 2013. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.