I always have a bag of cornmeal handy in my pantry. We love corn bread and it can be made in a pinch for soups and stews. Sometimes I make savoury cornmeal muffins. They are simply delicious warm with lashings of butter! I also like to make these for the lunch box. They are easy to carry and not messy to eat especially on a really busy day. Just warm in the microwave and enjoy with your favourite beverage - healthy and nutritious on the go. Yumm!!
These crumbly moreish muffins will give you a real spice fix. As it is the end of the chili pepper season and we will now have to wait till next year for fresh peppers, I decided to make the most of my last batch of farm fresh poblanos and jalapenos!! The medley of these peppers with cumin makes for a truly fragrant and enjoyable treat for any savoury muffin lover. And did I mention, they are eggless too:)
1 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp vital wheat gluten
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/3 cup cilantro, chopped fine
1 jalapeno pepper, chopped fine
1 poblano pepper, chopped fine
1/4 cup olive oil
1 cup buttermilk
- Sift together the cornmeal, whole wheat flour, vital wheat gluten, baking soda, baking powder, salt, sugar, and cumin powder.
- Stir in the cilantro, the chopped jalapeno and poblano peppers.
- Whisk the buttermilk and olive oil together, pour into the cornmeal mix, and fold in well.
- Spoon the mix into cup cake liners and bake at 350F for 20-22 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, allow to sit for about 5 minutes.
- Enjoy warm.
All content, text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007 - 2012. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.