Potatoes are said to be the perfect food. While I am not so sure about that, they certainly are universal. Pretty much every culture boils, mashes, and fries potatoes and seasons them in its own unique way. Interestingly almost everyone who loves potatoes enjoys them in any form available!! I know people who always look for potatoes on the menu when traveling in an attempt to ensure a vegetarian and filling meal!!
This potato dish is a classic example of how potato bhaji is prepared in Uttar Pradesh. This aloo dish is a perfect combination for pooris, parathas, rotis, toasties sandwiches - you name it!! But I like it best with dal and rice. With a little pickle and yogurt thrown in for good measure:)
5 medium potatoes, cubed
2 green chilies, sliced
4 tbsp oil
1/8 tsp hing (asafoetida)
1 tsp zeera (cumin seeds)
1/2 tsp lal mirch (red chili powder)
1/2 tsp haldi (turmeric)
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp soonth (dry ginger powder)
1 tsp amchur (dry mango powder)
- Heat half the oil in a pan. Add the asafoetida and cumin seeds.
- Reduce heat, add the potatoes, stir, ensuring they are all coated with oil.
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the turmeric, red chili, dry ginger, and dry mango powders.
- Stir, add salt and remaining oil, then stir again to coat the potatoes with the spices.
- Cover and cook again until the potatoes are done.
- Remove the cover, stir the vegetable on a high heat for about a minute.
Like this recipe. Tried it. Leave me a comment:)
All content, text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007 - 2012. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.