This morning I made Modaks for Ganesh Chaturthi. The last time I made these beauties, I had tried them with the traditional jaggery and coconut filling. This time I wanted to make something different. These modaks are sugar free, as they are made only with dried fruits and nuts, NO ADDED SUGAR!! They came out incredible well and the filling was mellow but delicious.
You may notice that some of the modaks are a deep brown. That's because that are made with a ragi flour covering! Both kinds turned out really well. I will post the Ragi Flour recipe shortly.
1 cup rice flour
1 tbsp ghee
Warm water as needed
1/4 cup raw pistachios
1/4 cup raw cashews
1/3 cup golden raisins
1 tbsp ghee
- Sift the rice flour into a mixing bowl.
- Add the ghee, and rub into the flour.
- Now pour the warm water, just a little at a time.
- Using a wooden spoon bring together the flour and water.
- Allow this mix to sit for 10 minutes, then using your hands, turn it into a soft but pliable dough.
- If needed at this stage sprinkle a little extra rice flour or water on the dough to get the correct consistency.
- Dry roast the pistachios and cashews, the grind them into a fine powder.
- Pour the ghee into a pan, heat, then add the raisins. Fry on a low heat. The raising will puff up and become soft. Remove from the heat immediately, cool completely.
- Give the raisins one spin in the food processor.
- Combine them and any ghee remaining from the frying process to the nut powder.
- To put the modaks together, divide the flour into 10 balls of equal size.
- With a little ghee on the palms of your hands, pat one ball flat. Place a level tablespoonful of the fruit and nut mixture in the centre, then bring together the edges. Form a circle.
- Place this on a greased steaming tray. Repeat for remaining dough and filling.
- Steam for 15-17 minutes. Remove and enjoy warm.
Like this recipe. Tried it. Leave me a comment:)
All content, text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007 - 2012. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.