Karelas or Bitter Gourd have just started coming in at our local farm. We went Karela hunting last week, and got ourselves a stash of eight wonderfully fresh and tender karelas!! This apart from green beans, okra, and some wonderful beets!! My first karela recipe is Khus Khus Karela - this is bitter gourd made in a typically Bengali style with poppy seeds. It is a very simple recipe with just a few spices, but the taste is mind blowing!
3 karela (bitter gourd), chopped
3 tbsp khus khus (poppy seeds)
Salt, to taste
1 tbsp oil
2 dry red chilies
1/4 tsp haldi (turmeric)
1/2 tsp rai (mustard seeds)
- Heat the oil in a pan, then reduce the heat to a medium high.
- Add the mustard seeds and dry red chilies. When they begin to pop, add the chopped karela.
- Stir to coat the karela pieces with oil. Cover and cook for 3 minutes.
- Now add the turmeric and salt, stir well, cover and cook till the karela begins to soften.
- Place the posta in a dry grinder and grind it to a powder.
- Once the karela is tender, stir in the posta with a half cup of water.
- Keep stirring till the water has evaporated and you get a thickish curry.
All content, text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007 - 2012. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.