1 cup rice
1/2 cup moong dal (Split Yellow Mung Bean)
1/2 tsp haldi (turmeric)
)Salt to taste
1/4 tsp hing a(safoetida)
8-10 kari patta (curry leaves)
4 cloves garlic
1 tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
1 large tomato, quartered
1 large potato, peeled and cubed
- Wash and soak the dal and rice for 20 minutes.
- Place in the pressure cooker with the turmeric, salt, ginger, and garlic.
- Pour in 2 cups water, bring to a boil. Now add the chopped potato and tomato.
- Close the pressure cooker, add the weight and cook for 2 whistles.
- Remove the cooker from the heat and let the pressure drop on its own.
- Prepare the tempering by heating the ghee in a small saucepan.
- To this, add the asafoetida, cumin, and curry leaves.
- Remove the weight and lid of the pressure cooker.
- Pour the tempering over the kichidi.
Vegan Substitute: Prepare the tempering with a teaspoon of canola oil instead of ghee.
All content, text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007 - 2012. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.