1 cup Masoor Dal (Split Red Lentils)
1/2 tsp haldi (turmeric)
1/2 tsp zeera (cumin)
1 tsp garlic, minced
Salt, to taste
1/2 tsp lal mirch (red chili powder)
1 tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
- Wash the red lentils and soak for 20 minutes.
- Place in a pressure cooker with one and a quarter cup of water.
- Stir in the turmeric. Pressure cook the lentils on medium heat for two whistles.
- Remove from heat, and let the pressure drop completely, then remove the weight and cover.
- Add another half cup of water to the lentil and salt to taste.
- Cook on a low heat for five to seven minutes.
- Prepare the tempering by heating the ghee in a small saucepan.
- Add the cumin and garlic. Fry on low heat for around a minute.
- Add the red chili powder. Turn off the heat.
- Pour directly over the cooked lentils.
Vegan Substitute: Replace ghee in this recipe with one tsp cooking oil.
All content, text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007 - 2012. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.