Imagine my delight when Valerie and Evelyne suggested Pate with bread as the Daring Cooks challenge of the month!! Its been ages since I made pate at home, though bread baking is a regular feature!! I decided to make the vegetarian pate they suggested but tweaked the recipe to our taste at home. Also I baked a honey wheat sandwich loaf which complemented the pate beautifully. Thanks ladies for a great challenge this June!!
1 cup red kidney beans, cooked
1 small onion, minced
2 cloves garlic,minced
1/2 jalapeno pepper, chopped roughly
1/3 cup walnuts
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 tsp +1tsp olive oil
8 pieces of sun-dried tomatoes in oil
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan. Add the onions and garlic. Saute gently.
- Add the jalapeno and kidney beans. Mix well.
- Pour in a quarter cup of water. Cook until the beans are really tender - crush roughly and allow the mix to dry to a paste like mix on low heat. turn of heat and set aside.
- In a separate pan, heat the other teaspoon of olive oil. Add the cumin, and then the crushed walnuts. Stir fry on medium heat, season with crushed black pepper.
- Turn off heat and cool.
- Place 2-3 pieces of sun-dried tomato in oil at the base of a small ramekin.
- Add one tablespoon of walnuts and press into the tomatoes.
- Finally, press the cooked beans onto the walnuts. Pack them in properly.
- Pour some of the oil in which the sun-dried tomato was preserved onto the pate.
- Cool completely.
Post Script: Our hostesses this month, Evelyne of Cheap Ethnic Eatz, and Valerie of a The Chocolate Bunny, chose delicious pate with freshly baked bread as their June Daring Cook’s challenge! They’ve provided us with 4 different pate recipes to choose from and are allowing us to go wild with our homemade bread choice.
All content, text, and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007 - 2012. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.