3/4 cup dhuli moong (soaked for 1 hour)
3-4 cups swiss chard (chopped)
1 small onion, sliced
3-4 cloves garlic
1 tsp ginger, grated
2 green chilies, slit
1/8 tsp asafoetida
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp cooking oil (canola)
Tarka | Tempering:
1 tsp ghee (clarified butter)
1/2 tsp zeera (cumin)
1/2 tsp redi chili powder
- Pressure cook the moong dal with the turmeric and 1 1/4 cup water. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the onions and garlic. Fry till transparent.
- Add the cumin and the asafoetida. Let it brown. Next add the chilies, greens, and ginger. Stir well.
- Cook until the greens have wilted.
- Pour the cooked moong dal into the prepared greens.
- Add salt to taste.
- Prepare the tarka by heating the ghee in a small tarka pan/sauce pan.
- Add the cumin. Turn off heat, and add the red chili powder.
- Pour the tarka on the saag-dal.
Moong Dal Saag is my contribution to MLA 24. Created by Susan of The Well-Seasoned Cook, it is hosted this month by Diana of A Little Bit of Spain in Iowa.
Vegan Substitute: Replace the ghee in the tarka with a teaspoon of canola or vegetable oil.
All content, text, and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007 - 2013. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.