Tomatoes and paneer are a truly beautiful combination. Almost every Indian home has its own special way of making this dish. I love paneer with fresh tomatoes, but when I make this curry style dish with tomato puree, its just finger-licking good!! Try this with Lasun Parathas , or Zeera Rice.
1 1/2 cups paneer, cubed
1 small tin tomato puree
6-8 curry leaves
1 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp red chilli powder
1 cup water
Salt, to taste
1 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
Oil, as required
- In a large nonstick pan, pour 1 tbsp oil. Add the paneer cubes and on a low to medium heat, fry them until they are just brown.
- Remove the cubes onto kitchen paper and allow to drain.
- In the same pan, add 1 teaspoon of oil. when hot, add the mustard seeds and curry leaves. When the seeds begin to pop, add the tomato puree, 1 cup water, turmeric, and chilli powder.
- Boil on high heat for 5-7 minutes, then reduce heat and let the curry thicken a little. Now add the paneer cubes and salt and cover completely with the curry, cover pan and cook on low heat for another 5 minutes.
- Remove into a serving dish, season with cilantro, and serve hot with parathas or rice.
All text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007-2013. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.