Dry Ingredients:1 cup sooji (cream of wheat)
1 tbsp chana dal
1 tbsp urad dal
1 inch piece ginger, grated fine
2 large dried red chillies, crumbled
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped fine
1 tbsp ghee
1/3 cup cashews, chopped
To Make Upma:
Salt to taste
Warm water, as required
- Heat the ghee in a large non-stick pan. Add the mustard seeds, and when they begin to pop, lower the heat.
- Next add the chana and urad dals. when they turn golden brown, add the cashews and red chillies. Fry until the chillies are crisp and the cashews golden brown.
- Now, add the cilantro and grated ginger and continue to fry for 30 seconds. Finally tip the sooji into the frying pan and roast with all the other ingredients on low heat until it gives off a fragrance. Remove into a heat resistant plate and let cool completely. The upma mix is ready.
- Store in an airtight box in the refrigerator to shelf for 7-10 day until needed. Alternatively it will stay in the freeze indefinitely.
- To make Quick Microwave Upma, remove desired amount into a microwave safe bowl (avoid using plastic), pour hot water and add salt to taste. Generally 2 parts water to 1 part upma mix should be enough.
- Place in the microwave, and cook for 2 minutes per serving in the pan. Enjoy with your favourite chutney or plain yogurt.
All text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007-2013. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.