Sour Cream Breads are wonderfully moist, dense, and inevitably delicious. The sour cream adds not only to the taste of bakery goods, it also gives them great moisture. As I am baking at a fairly regularly now, I try and rotate the kinds of breads I bake. On the weekend I baked the Cinnamon Almond Raisin Twists and a loaf of Hokkaido Milk Loaf. The milk bread disappeared so fast that I did not even get the opportunity to blog about it!!
Then yesterday I was getting started on an Oats and Wheat Loaf when I decided to use up the sour cream sitting in my refrigerator. Making a seasoned Sour Cream Bread to enjoy with soup seemed like the best idea. I used Atta (Indian Chappati Flour) in this recipe, a good table spoon of our favorite no salt seasoning, and garlic. The result: super tasty and soft bread that we have been chewing with just butter!!
21/2 cups atta (Indian Chappati Flour)
2 tsp active dry yeast
1+1 tbsp tablespoons sugar, divided
1/3 cup warm water
1 cup sour cream, at room temperature
1 tbsp garlic, chopped very fine
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp - 1 tbsp seasoning of choice (I used an organic herb and spice no salt seasoning)
11/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
- Sift the flour, salt, baking soda, and seasoning together.
- Throw in the minced garlic and mix together.
- Mix 1 tbsp sugar into the warmed water, then sprinkle the yeast over it. Cover and allow to proof for at least 5 minutes.
- Pour the sour cream and olive oil into the proofed yeast and blend well.
- Pour this into the sifted flour mix. Bring together to form a soft dough.
- Place in an oiled dish. The dough should double in bulk in about 40 minutes.
- Punch down and knead the dough for about 10 minutes.
- Shape into a loaf, place into a prepared loaf pan, cover and allow to rise for another 40 minutes.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 375F for about 35-40 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Cool in the loaf pan for about ten minutes, then turn out and cool on a wire rack.
Nut Free Recipe
Like this recipe. Tried it. Leave me a comment:)
All content, text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007 - 2015. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.