Its unseasonably hot in my part of the world with temperatures touching the 90s!! Its the first time I have experienced such a warm May here. The average temperatures are in the 70s at this time of the year, warm but a cool breeze and some rain. On Sunday it was so hot that we actually went out for ice cream. Boy did it taste good!!
At home I am trying to spend less time cooking. The kitchen gets really very hot and standing by the stove can become unbearable even with air conditioning. So we are eating lots of salads, simple soups, sandwiches, and home made burgers!! I made this very fresh and beautiful salad for dinner. Its colourful, chock full of nutrition, delicious, and so so simple to put together.
2/3 cup sweet red peppers, slices
2/3 cup sweet yellow peppers, sliced
2/3 cup sweet orange peppers, sliced
1 cup sweet corn kernels
1 tbsp olive oil
Salt to taste
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp mixed Italian herbs, dry
1/4 tsp garlic powder
Pinch mustard powder
2 tbsp lemon juice (or to taste)
1/2 cup pepitas
- Begin with the salad dressing. Place the olive oil, salt, pepper, herbs, garlic powder, and mustard in a small bottle with a cap. Cover and shake. Let the blend sit in the bottle until needed.
- Heat water in a saucepan. Add the sweet corn kernels and boil for 10 minutes. Drain and place in a mixing bowl. Let them cool for 10 minutes.
- Mix the pepper slices with the corn kernels.
- Add the lemon juice to the salad dressing. Shake well. Pour over the salad. Toss well with a salad spoon.
- Sprinkle the pepitas over the salad. Serve immediately.
- This salad dressing can be refrigerated up to 48 hours.
- If you like a crunch in your salad, add the pepitas just before serving.
- You can you tinned sweetcorn in this recipe. Just drain and wash the corn before adding to the salad.
All content, text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007 - 2012. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.