1 cup fada/dalia (broken wheat)
2 large tomatoes, minced
2 green chilies, chopped fine
6-8 curry leaves
1" piece ginger, peeled and grated
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped fine
1 lime, cut into wedges
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
1 dried red chili, broken
1 tsp oil
1/2 tsp ghee (clarified butter)
Salt to taste
2 cups water, warmed
- Toast the broken wheat in a large non stick pan on low to medium heat.
- Set aside. Pour the oil into the pan. When its hot, reduce heat, add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, green chilies, red chilies, and curry leaves.
- Next add the tomatoes and salt. Cover and cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Next add the ginger and allow to simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Pour in the toasted broken wheat into this mix with two cups warm water and the ghee.
- Stir well to ensure there are no lumps.
- Continue stirring and cook on a low heat until the water is reduced and the broken wheat is cooked.
- The porridge should not be watery and should thicken away from the sides of the pan.
- Serve hot garnished with cilantro and lime wedges.
Vegan Substitute: Replace the half teaspoon of ghee in this recipe with half teaspoon of oil.
All content, text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright of © Annarasa 2007 - 2013. All Rights Reserved. Kindly do not reproduce without permission.